Master of Arts (MA) Program
The Master of Arts degree program is designed to develop knowledge and skill in disciplined inquiry appropriate to the advanced student's selected area of educational concern. Although a program can be planned leading to professional certification, emphasis is on developing a high level of research and scholarly competence.
Course Work: The M.A. degree requires a minimum of 36 credit hours distributed as follows.
- 12 to 16 hours selected from those content areas most relevant to the student's area of educational concern.
- 8 to 12 hours selected from the graduate Research and Evaluation Group. This group consists of the following courses:
- Introduction to Educational Research
- Educational Measurement
- Inferential Statistics I
- Qualitative Methods I
- Inferential Statistics II or Qualitative Methods II
- 4 hours in Research and Evaluation Internship. This requirement is to be met as a research apprenticeship early in the student's program.
- 4 hours of Individual Research.
All research projects involving human subjects require approval both from the Division and from the Arts and Sciences Institutional Review Board. Instructions and application form can be viewed or downloaded from their site below:
- Admission in full standing to the Laney Graduate School.
- The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) taken within five years prior to application.
- Complete admission application submitted to the LaneyGraduate School office by January (please email Dr. Avant to confirm exact date) for Fall entrance. This electronic file must contain
- complete formal application,
- official transcripts of all previous academic work,
- GRE score report, and
- three recommendations on application rating sheets.
- statement of purpose
Electronic applications may be accessed through (http://www.gs.emory.edu/admissions/index.php). The application deadline for students wishing to begin Fall term is usually January 3 (please email Dr. Avant for exact date).
Correspondence and Information
Follow this link to the Graduate School Admissions page for information about applying to Emory University's graduate program.